This simple and seasonal butternut squash quesadilla is an ideal lunch– healthy and delicious and ready in ten minutes!
Butternut Squash Quesadilla
I’ve covered pumpkin, I’ve covered apples… it’s time to talk about another of my favorite things about autumn: butternut squash!
Butternut squash is a nutrient powerhouse. It’s an especially rich source of vitamin A, vitamin C, fiber and potassium, and has a lot of the same minerals– like iron, zinc, and copper– as pumpkin. Those health benefits may help to lower blood pressure, lower your cancer risk, promote skin and hair health, and boost immune function.
With all of that in mind– plus the fact that it’s super yummy!– it’s only natural that I’m going to put it on a tortilla.
Whenever I need a quick lunch, my instinct seems to be to grab whatever is in the fridge and use it to make a quesadilla. I’m usually swimming in butternut squash at this time of year, and it works so wonderfully here, combining with the mushrooms, onions, and cheese to crease a satisfying and delicious lunch with hardly any effort.
Make sure that you’re taking advantage of the season and getting plenty of beautiful butternut squash in your diet!
- 1 tortilla
- ½ cup butternut squash, mashed
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, and sage, to taste
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese or cream cheese-style spread
- ¼ onion, sliced
- 2-4 white mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup mozzarella or mozzarella-style shreds
- Mash the butternut squash together with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and sage. Spread the mixture evenly over half of the tortilla.
- Spread the cream cheese over the other half.
- Grease a pan with cooking spray. Sauté the onions and mushrooms until tender.
- Layer the onions and mushrooms over the butternut squash mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
- Fold your tortilla and cook over medium heat until the cheese melts and the tortilla is browned on both sides.
This recipe is gluten-free with the appropriate tortilla.
Click here to see some of the tools and ingredients I use to make my recipes!
Shared at Meatless Monday with Confessions of a Mother Runner and A Whisk and Two Wands; Meatless Monday with Running on Happy and The Fit Foodie Mama; Tips & Tricks Link Party; Wow Us Wednesdays; What’s Cookin’ Wednesday; Thoughts of Home on Thursday; Foodie Friday; Weekend Potluck; Healthy Vegan Fridays with Rock My Vegan Socks and VNutrition; Sunday Fitness & Food Link-Up with Marathons and Motivation and IlkasBlog. For a complete list of where I share, click here.
This post contains affiliate links for products I use and recommend. If you purchase through those links, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Connect with me!