This easy cheesy spinach bake is perfect for a quick and simple meal or side dish that even your pickier eaters will love!
There is an unofficial theory in my family that if someone doesn’t like the food that is offered, adding a little cheese will almost definitely fix the problem. Growing up, a lot of vegetables were finally eaten with a healthy topping of cheese.
I was one of those easy-to-please kids that would always eat their veggies anyway… but the cheese never hurt. Even now, a veggie-and-cheese dish feels like pure comfort food to me.
This cheesy spinach bake is wonderful as a side dish, but it’s great for a main course, too– with protein from eggs, Greek yogurt, and cottage cheese, it is filling and satisfying. You can keep it simple by only using spinach, or boost it up with as many other chopped veggies as you like. Combining all of the good-for-you ingredients with the magical power of sauce and cheese works well to encourage your reluctant veggie eaters to give their greens a chance.
- 12 oz. frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 egg, whisked
- ½ cup mushrooms (or other veggies of choice), sliced
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup onions, chopped
- ¼ cup cottage cheese
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- oregano, for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350° and grease an 8x8 pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the spinach, egg, veggies, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, garlic powder, and onion powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the spinach mixture into the pan. Spread tomato sauce evenly over the top and sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
- Top with oregano as desired and enjoy!
Click here to see some of the tools and ingredients I use to make my recipes!
Shared at Meatless Monday with Confessions of a Mother Runner and A Whisk and Two Wands; Meatless Monday with Running on Happy and The Fit Foodie Mama; Tips & Tricks Link Party; Wow Us Wednesdays; What’s Cookin’ Wednesday; Weekend Potluck; Sunday Fitness & Food Link-Up with Marathons & Motivation and IlkasBlog. For a complete list of where I share, click here.
This post contains affiliate links for products I use and recommend. If you purchase through those links, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Connect with me!