You’ll never guess that this sweet and crunchy butterscotch granola is secretly healthy! Made without oil or butter and sweetened with pure maple syrup, it is full of rich, decadent– and guilt-free!– flavor.
I have a soft spot for granola.
I’m pretty addicted to the stuff anyway– I end up making at least a batch a week– but it’s also what got me into recipe-creating in the first place.
A lot of granola recipes are heavy on the butter, oil, and sugar– all things I’m sensitive to– and store-bought is usually even worse. If I wanted a healthier alternative (and to have all of the granola flavors I could dream up), I’d have to make my own. It saves money, it’s better for you, and it tastes better, so why not make it at home?
The very first recipe I ever wrote was for granola, and I haven’t looked back since.
This butterscotch granola was a happy accident– I only made it to use up some leftover butterscotch chips– but I ended up liking it so much that I made it again on purpose. 🙂
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- ½ cup nuts and/or seeds of choice (I used cashews, pepitas, and sunflower seeds)
- 2-4 tablespoons granulated sweetener of choice (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- dash salt
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon butterscotch extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 300° and grease a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, cereal, nuts/seeds, granulated sweetener, cinnamon, and salt.
- Pour in the maple syrup and extracts, and stir until everything is coated.
- Spread the granola evenly onto the sheet and bake for 20-22 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- When the granola has cooled completely, stir in the butterscotch chips.
This granola is vegan with the appropriate butterscotch chips and extract.
Shared at Meatless Monday with Confessions of a Mother Runner and A Whisk and Two Wands; Meatless Monday with Running on Happy and The Fit Foodie Mama; Tips & Tricks Link Party; What’s Cookin’ Wednesday; Thoughts of Home on Thursday; Weekend Potluck; Healthy Vegan Fridays; Sunday Fitness & Food Link-Up with Marathons & Motivation and IlkasBlog. For a complete list of where I share, click here.