For an easy, nutritious meal prepared in under 10 minutes, it’s hard to go wrong with this butter bean and spinach quesadilla.
Butter Bean and Spinach Quesadilla
Butter beans are a good source of protein, iron, zinc, and magnesium, making them a nice vegetarian alternative to meat. Rich in fiber and B vitamins, they are also a low-energy-dense food, helping to keep you full and maintain a healthy weight.
Nutritional information isn’t persuasive if the food is unappealing, though– thankfully, butter beans are delicious! They have a smooth, creamy texture and a light, pleasant taste, making them incredibly versatile in a variety of meals. I like mine mashed with some garlic powder, salt, and pepper– and I especially love to use them in quesadillas!
- 1 tortilla (I used whole wheat)
- ½ cup canned or cooked butter beans, mashed
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-4 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
- handful baby spinach
- Mash your butter beans together with the garlic powder, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread this mixture evenly over your tortilla, then top with mozzarella cheese.
- Grease a pan with cooking spray. Cook the spinach until wilted, then layer it on top of the cheese.
- Fold your tortilla and cook over medium heat until the cheese melts and the tortilla is browned on both sides.
Make it vegan with dairy-free cheese shreds. Make it gluten-free with GF tortillas.
For a complete list of where I share, click here.
Connect with me!