These mini gingerbread cupcakes are full of warm, cozy flavors and topped with sweet cinnamon buttercream frosting– perfect for the last stretch of winter.
I love gingerbread and cinnamon at any time of year, but they are even more delightful in cooler weather.
I would like to blame my love of bite-sized food for these being mini cupcakes, but to be honest, I’m intimidated by cake-creating. What if I mess it up? That’s an entire cake wasted! Better to start small and adorable, I think.
Of course, that leads to the problem with cute, tiny food– it’s gone too soon. On the other hand, it’s a built-in excuse to bake more! 🙂
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 2 tablespoons milk of choice
- ¾ cup flour of choice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½-1 teaspoon powdered ginger, depending on how strong of a gingerbread taste you want
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- milk of choice, added ½ teaspoon at a time
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, stir the applesauce, molasses, and milk together until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, powdered ginger, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour wet into dry and stir until just combined.
- Divide evenly into muffin tin and bake 7-10 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the frosting: in an electric mixer, beat the powdered sugar, butter, and cinnamon together. Add the milk ½ teaspoon at a time until your desired consistency is reached.
- Frost the cupcakes and enjoy!